WARNING!!!! This blog is one giant cluster fuck of TRIGGERS. IE, WLS, Eating Disorders, Fat Hatred ETC! Consider yourself WARNED!

Monday 14 February 2011

Back in the Day

When I graduated high school in 1996, I was 400lbs.  I felt great! I was active and cute. My weight never stopped me from doing anything.  I was happy and healthy. So in that I can understand the stance people take about being happy and healthy at over 400lbs. 

However, that happiness and physical ability faded right around 580lbs.  Age didn't help. As when I hit that weight I was over 30 years old.  It takes a toll.  My knees are shot. (mostly from being an active fatty)  When I was in high school I was on the track team and in school plays, nothing stopped me. I was friends with the popular people.  There was nothing wrong with my life at 400lbs which is why it angers me when people who are in the 400's think they know what it is like to be super heavy and not able to move.

It's quite like having a mole and claiming to identify with those who have had skin cancer.  It just doesn't compare.  I'd love to be 400 lbs again. LOVE IT. I don't know if it will ever happen, but I really wish people wouldn't assume they know what it was like to be me at my highest weight. You can't *know* unless you have been there.

5 comments:

  1. at 400lbs due to my height I could still do most things, I believe you that you could do far more at this size then later, the chasm between 400lbs and well in my case 700lbs and yours 580 is pretty great. One weird thing with me, 400lbs was like a marker I passed on by and barely acknowledged.

    http://fivehundredpoundpeeps.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-350-400-pound-weight-gain.html

    Of course in my case, I had years in the mid 200s, so that alone is to cause me some major pain.

    At 400lbs, you can still walk--though not as far, You can still buy clothes in the plus sized shop instead of ordering special order. I think people do not get it, because it is rarer people who cross the 500lb mark. I think in the case of people who cross this certain weight mark, that in most cases, something has gone severe awry in the body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, everyone's experiences are different and we can't just say "yes I weighed X amount too, so my experiences are completely the same as yours".

    Health and cardiovascular indicators differ from person to person and are very tangentially linked to weight. Lifestyle, diet and mobility differ vastly as well. In the same vein, there is no 'one way' to define being fat. You don't have to wear a particular size of clothing, or have a particular BMI, to be fat. (What the hell is with the BMI anyway?) Therefore my only conclusion is that being fat is something that an individual can only subjectively self-identify as.

    "I really wish people wouldn't assume they know what it was like to be me at my highest weight. You can't *know* unless you have been there."

    I couldn't agree more! That's why I'm so glad to see more people blogging about their own individual experiences being fat in a thin-centric world. I've only just discovered your blog but I've read through your most recent posts and think that you add a lot of insight and attitude to the FA movement.

    I'm relatively new to the FA movement and have been scouring blogs on the topic of fat acceptance - it's a confusing journey because sometimes I feel all "empowered to be a fatty" and other times I feel "pressured by society to get thinner". I haven't blogged about it because I don't have the courage quite yet (people I know in real life read my blog and I don't know how they would react to the fat acceptance movement or my participation in it... my own partner does not agree with me) but perhaps one day I'll pluck up the courage to!

    Keep blogging, I'm going to follow you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things change

    I have been doing well at about 290-310 lbs. Recently from a pain in my arm I learned that I have three fractures in my shoulder. Two of them I had for a long time but never bothered my. These must have happened over the years when I slipped on ice or wet floors.

    I will defiantly be walking even more to build up my leg strength and I may have to loss some to aid in rising from low seats because beyond physical therapy there is not much they can do for me.

    William

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like me, the payoff food glorious food gives you trumps all else.

    When in doubt....EAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your words. I definately realte to your story. I also graduated from high school in 1996, at about 350 pounds. I did anything I wanted and didn't care much about what other people thought. Now, at 33 I'm starting to deal with the consequences of being an active 450 pound person. I am trying to decide what to do to ease the pain without losing who I am. Wish me luck:)

    ReplyDelete