WARNING!!!! This blog is one giant cluster fuck of TRIGGERS. IE, WLS, Eating Disorders, Fat Hatred ETC! Consider yourself WARNED!

Friday 11 February 2011

What would you say or do?

A couple of days ago, I had a hospital appointment.  I was feeling very proud of myself for being able to walk the length of the entire hospital, considering where my mobility has been before.  I approached the department I needed and there was a lady.  She looked. Looked again.  Looked again and then stared.  What would you do in this situation?  It was obvious her stare was not of admiration, but of disgust.

My approach may have been a bit harsh, but I was tired, out of breath and feeling a bit cocksure since walking what seemed like miles.  As I pretended to read the hospital map while I caught my breath, I said "I can stare at you just as much as you can stare at me. Beotch"  Now I didn't technically call her a bitch because that is a section 5 offence here in the UK and I didn't fancy being arrested over some fat hater.  After I verbally expressed myself, I heard her gasp.  It took incredible self control not to just fall on the floor and laugh.  But then I realised how hard it would be to get up off said floor, so I contained myself.

My experience here in the UK has been fairly hostile towards fatness.  I am originally from California, where thin is beautiful and I never EVER experienced fat hatred like I do here in the UK (Southern England to be specific)  Sometimes I ignore it.  Other times I can't help but show my ugly side.  Which is full of sass and attitude.  I carry myself with my head held high and I don't mind if strangers take a double take...I am the biggest person they have probably ever seen.  However, I am not going to stand back whilst people stare and make comments.

So was I too harsh on this ignorant lady? How would you have handled it?

2 comments:

  1. You handled it well. I myself probably would have said "can I help you?" What you said however was much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get arrested for calling someone a B in England?

    Wow!

    I don't sanction cursing, but I know I've said worse. I have walked up to people and said "Do you have a problem? It is painful I know. They do tend to catch you at your most vulnerable like after a long walk. People usually leave me alone, I was rather protected and treated well in a small rural town, but here I often feel like I have to dress better, hold my head up higher, never show any moments of vulnerability while an average thin person never even has to consider such things.

    ReplyDelete